I'm very excited by the possibilities of the Desert Tech MDR bullpup semi-auto rifle, and ran across a YouTube video of the presentation Desert Tech gave at SHOT 2014 about it. (h/t to PredatorBDU) Unfortunately the audio is horrible, but here it is:
If you couldn't struggle through that, the pertinent new facts are:
- Planned chamberings: .308 Win, .223 Rem, .300 Blackout, 6.8 SPC, and 7.62x39
- 100% ambidexterous design without any reconfiguration necessary
- The forward eject system is controlled by an ejection cover that's much like the ejection port dust cover on ARs. It can swing down to facilitate clearing malfunctions, chamber inspections, or to eject brass like a typical AR.
- The .223 version is expected to MSRP for $2,157, while the .308 version is expected to MSRP for $2,450
- Expected release is mid-2015
There were quite a few comparisons with ARs and SCAR-17s, so it looks like I wasn't far off track making those comparisons myself earlier. They also looked at PDWs like the P90, and bullpups like the Tavor, for additional comparison across dimensions like power, size, and weight.